Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Training Resumes

After taking a few days off because Lisa's out of town, I rode today with my friend Andy. Andy was on the trip with us to Guatemala and we talked about biking some. I knew he was a good mountain biker, but this guy is a stud road rider as well and he showed me just how out of shape I am. This wasn't a simple training ride to coddle me and make me feel like I'm doing OK. It was a "let's see how bad we can make Rob's lungs burn" ride. It was wet out and raining lightly when we left, so Andy said we'd take it easy in the corners. I should have told him to take the whole thing easy...

We started out and by the first corner I was already way behind, and I was going about 21 mph! I normally ride about 19 mph while drafting someone, so I was working a little harder than normal right out of the box. Good thing I forgot my HR monitor at home because it would have been pinging constantly. Then the hills kicked in, kicking my butt. Andy says he tries to top the big hill at about 17 mph, and I was glad just to get over the hill...

All-in-all, Andy humored me and told me my speed was about where he was when we got back from Guatemala. For some reason I don't think I will be where he is after a few weeks. Someone said that "whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger." I believe that, but I just hope it doesn't kill me!

No comments: